Saturday, January 15, 2011

L'update: Birthday and School

Birthday pictures by Salena.



There were some moments that were nice though, the panic at gettind dressed with my friends Candie and Salena, where because I had modified my dress with safety pins Salena had to rescue me from its clutches. Playing with balloons, Pretty in Pink playing while showering, falling asleep to Breakfast at Tiffany's, hanging hello kitty streamers, frosting cupcakes and sneaking tastes. There were so many tiny happenings that made it all worth while and I'm thankful to the friends who did come through for me.
Seattle has hit its long grey faze but I'm seeking solace in bright colored textiles, cups of peppermint mochas and super novas. University life is truly lovely and for the first time in a long time I'm content. Everyday I'm surrounded by beautiful architecture and the buzz of thousands of students humming with knowledge. It's a tiny utopia fo sho.

This new quarter brings hours upon hours in the printing studios with breaks in between attending astronomy lectures. Am really digging the printing teachers and curriculum because they ask us to draw a lot and basically work in whatever direction we want. For the last week of drawings I started doing quick ink portraits which came out lovely. Theres a fluidity in brush and ink that really aids in understanding shapes. I just have to be careful to continue to hold myself to a higher standard in my classes. It would be a shame to fall behind my illustration peers just because I switched to a state school. 

My schedule feels odd though. Mornings are spend realizing how tiny and insignificant we are in the universe and then within 10 minutes the focus switches to how important even the smallest marks on an 8 by 10 linolium block can be. Isn't life goofy?  

No comments:

Post a Comment